FYI, GRANT/REVOKE is now implemented in 10.2. There are a lot of new features in 10.2, including XML support, online backup, show table/describe...

For the full list see http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoSnapshot

David

Duncan Groenewald wrote:
I have used both and now rely on McKoiDB for the majority of work. While it lacks one or two features it has proven to be very stable and reliable. Derby lacks a couple of key features I needed, especially no user access control (GRANT, REVOKE).

I found Hypersonic's persistent to be unreliable and gave up after experiencing corruption on a number of databases.

I started a simple evaluation document to compare key features I needed which might help. Send me your email address and I'll forward you a copy if you would like.

Regards
Duncan

Robert Enyedi wrote:
Hi,

We have a MySQL database with around 50 tables and we are thinking about supporting other database engines too. After studying the options on the Java DB engine implementations, it seems that there are two important contenders: Apache Derby and Hypersonic SQL. While our feeling is that Hypersonic SQL is a more mature product, Derby seems to be hyped about a lot these days and it also has quite some history since the days of Informix and Cloudscape.

Could you please help in our decision by pointing out some advantages and shortcomings of Apache Derby versus Hypersonic SQL?

Thanks,
Robert