Hi, all.  I am getting some questions from Ken Frank NetBeans
internationalization quality team about Java DB and character set
encodings.  Rather than try and play go-between, I'm including him
here so he can directly ask any follow-on questions.

Ken would like to understand how Derby makes use of character
encodings, and how it is affected by  various settings.  How does
Derby handle things if the encoding is set to something different from
our default of UTF-8?  Are we impacted, or do we rely on Java routines
such as the Collator and Comparator class to handle this?

Sorry if I'm talking out my ear, i18n is not one of my fortes.

Thanks,

David