Hi Narayanan,

Yes I have seen those links already. I have spent quite a bit of time confirming that my hardware is not at fault before posting here.

I think you'll agree to see exactly the same page number failing on 3 separate machines lends itself more to being a software issue than a hardware one.

The OS has not reported any disk issues at all.

Cheers,
David

Narayanan wrote:
Hi David,

You might find the following links containing earlier discussions on the similar issue useful,

http://www.nabble.com/invalid-checksum-tt9528741.html#a9528741

http://www.nabble.com/Derby-crash-%28urgent%29-tt16217446.html#a16265491

Narayanan

David Sitsky wrote:
I have an intensive data-processing application which utilises Apache Lucene and Derby, using 6 quad-core machines running Vista SP1 and/or Vista Server 2008.

I have found after 5 or 10 hours of processing, one or a couple of my worker processes start reporting the following error in the derby.log file:

ERROR XSDG2: Invalid checksum on Page Page(0,Container(0, 1313))

The worker process never seems to recover. Derby locates the error, reboots the database, but seems to inevitably report the same error again. It is always page 1313, and what is extra strange is it doesn't matter which machine it occurs on, it is always page 1313! I know 13 is unlikely, but twice is a row must be extra unlucky. :)

The quad-core machines have been configured with both hardware and software raid, but the same error has been seen. Windows does not report any disk errors in the event log.

The error is difficult to reproduce. My runs typically run for 24 hours, involving 22 separate JVM processes spread across the machines, each running their own Derby embedded database. Sometimes I can get through the run without any issues - sometimes I might see one or two processes with this issue, and it seems to pick a different quad-core machine each time, so the possibility of a hardware error seems like unlikely, especially given it is always page 1313.

I have tried both 10.3.1.4 and 10.3.2.1 with the same results.

Lucene doesn't report any problems with its index, so given all the above evidence, I am starting to lean more to a software issue than hardware.

I have attached three derby.log files from different machines. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

--
Cheers,
David

Nuix Pty Ltd