Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have an application, which has to store following amounts of data:
>
> 1) There are approx. 20 MB of data per day.
> 2) The database should be able to store data of, at least, one week,
> i. e. 7 * 20 = 140 MB, at most - data of a quarter, i. e. 30 * 20 * 3
> = 1800 MB.
>
> The data is imported into Derby and then displayed in form of reports
> (based on Crystal Reports).
>
> 1) I would like to know whether Derby is suitable for such amounts of data?

Yes, Derby is most likely suitable.
Members of the Derby community are running weekly large data volume test
on Derby, see http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/

The size of the database directory in the latest test (2008-08-21) was
361 GB (with more than 637 million rows in one of the tables).

> 2) What is the "threshold", maximum amount of data Derby was designed
> to cope with?

There is no specific limit within Derby with regards to the amount of
data it can store. So far I have not heard of anyone reaching such a
limit when using Derby, apart from running out of disk space or other
environmental issues not related to Derby itself.

--
John