Rick (while I am reading  and trying DERBY-4415), that seems like there is
no other way to use prod jars and yet stop the parser from binding?

Would it be at all possible to use the javacc compiler with sqlgrammar.jj
(that are probably bundled in derby.jar) to do the work?

Pavel.

Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com>
Sent by: richard.hille...@sun.com
03/09/2010 01:13 PM
Please respond to
"Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements

Hi Pavel,

You are right, the XmlTreeWalker class also tries to stop the compiler
after parsing. This can only be done with a debug engine. The error you
are seeing comes from the bind() phase of compilation. Derby is
complaining that the query doesn't make sense: the objects it mentions
don't exist.

There's another issue linked from the XmlTreeWalker issue. Take a look
at DERBY-4415. This is a slightly more involved solution but may get you
closer. This solution assumes that you are trying to examine the various
phases of the AST for a query against real objects in your database.
This should work with the production jars.

Hope this is more useful,
-Rick

Pavel Bortnovskiy wrote:

> Once again, Rick, thanks for your prompt response. To answer your
> questions:
>
> (1) The compilation errors initially had to do with the SanityManager
> and ContextId not available in prod jars.
>
> (2) Since I am trying to get this code to work in our application,
> using debug jars may not be desirable.
> More over, our app is using Derby's in-memory tables as well as its
> NetworkServerController.
> So, this parsing/tree-walking code should not conflict with the other
> two uses.
>
> In the comments for DERBY-791, I did notice "We should provide some
> mechanism for printing these trees in production (non-debug) servers".
> So, I ran XmlTreeWalker linking only to
> db-derby-10.5.3.0-bin/lib/derby.jar, but got the same exception:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <queryTree>
>     <queryText>select a from t, s where t.a = s.a</queryText>
> Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException:
> Table/View 'T' does not exist.
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown

> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown

> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown

> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement20.<init>(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement30.<init>(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement40.<init>(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.newEmbedPreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
> Source)
>         at XmlTreeWalker.execute(XmlTreeWalker.java:130)
>         at XmlTreeWalker.main(XmlTreeWalker.java:111)
>         at

>         at

>         at
> com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:110)
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown

> Source)
>         ... 20 more
> Caused by: ERROR 42X05: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
>         at
> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromBaseTable.bindTableDescriptor(Unknown

> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromBaseTable.bindNonVTITables(Unknown

> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromList.bindTables(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.SelectNode.bindNonVTITables(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bindTables(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bind(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.CursorNode.bindStatement(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepMinion(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepare(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.prepareInternalStatement(Unknown

> [...]

> > Source)
> >         at TreeWalker.execute(TreeWalker.java:95)
> >         at TreeWalker.main(TreeWalker.java:79)
> >         at

> >         at

> >         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> >         at
> > com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:110)
> >

> > *Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com>*
> > Sent by: richard.hille...@sun.com
> >
> > 03/09/2010 08:35 AM
> > Please respond to
> > "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

> >                  Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> >                  Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements
> >

> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > I don't know of an easy way to do this. You could run the statement
> > through the Derby parser to get the parsed representation, the
Abstract
> > Syntax Tree. Then you could write a Visitor to walk the AST, looking
for
> > the nodes which represent tables. See the following JIRAs for some
> > pointers on how to produce and walk the AST: DERBY-3946 and DERBY-791.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there is no systematic primer on the AST nodes
> > themselves. All we have is the javadoc for the package
> > org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > -Rick
> >
> > Pavel Bortnovskiy wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > is it possible to use Derby's SQL parser to "extract" dependencies
> > > from a given SQL statement?
> > > (or access the parser once the statement has been parsed).
> > >
> > > Whether it's a simple SELECT or a JOIN, UNION or a more complex
> > > statement, I would like to get a list of tables that this statement
> > > would depend on.
> > > Looking for FROM clauses and attempting to do the parsing myself
seems
> > > like a difficult, error prone and impractical way to approach this.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions, please?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Pavel.
> > >

> > > Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The
> > > contents of this email, including any attachments, are confidential
> > > the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. If
> > > you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward,
> > > disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form
whatsoever.
> > > This email may be produced at the request of regulators or in
> > > connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability for
> > > any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by
> > > other than intended recipients is prohibited.  In the United
Kingdom,
> > > Jefferies operates as Jefferies International Limited; registered in
> > > England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper
> > > Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ.  Jefferies International Limited is
> > > authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
> >

> > Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The
> > contents of this email, including any attachments, are confidential to
> > the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. If
> > you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward,
> > disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever.
> > This email may be produced at the request of regulators or in
> > connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability for
> > any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by
> > other than intended recipients is prohibited.  In the United Kingdom,
> > Jefferies operates as Jefferies International Limited; registered in
> > England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper
> > Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ.  Jefferies International Limited is
> > authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
>

> Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The
> contents of this email, including any attachments, are confidential to
> the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. If
> you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward,
> disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever.
> This email may be produced at the request of regulators or in
> connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability for
> any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by
> other than intended recipients is prohibited.  In the United Kingdom,
> Jefferies operates as Jefferies International Limited; registered in
> England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper
> Thames Street, London EC4V 3BJ.  Jefferies International Limited is
> authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of
this email, including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of