Rick:

thank you for your patience and continuing support on this issue.

(1) Even prior to your email, I grepped for StopAfterParsing and found the
code you are referring to in GenericStatement.java.
I am not too keen on going that route, since that would require rebuilding
Derby and I would rather not temper with prod-quality code.

(2) I have downloaded that PlSql.jj and ran javacc on it. It generated a
bunch of java files and with a small change to the main, I got it to
report:

Tables in "select (select 1 from dual), a.string, b.string from a, b where
exists (select * from c where c.id = a.id);":
        DUAL

This is what I am looking for.

(3) My application is Derby powered. The app is relying on Derby's
in-memory tables for internal data exchange and NetworkServerController to
monitor these tables from the outside
of the application. However, just as you properly assumed, parts of my
application need to analyze dependencies. So, a portion of the application
(with a configured select) may depend on other
components (whose data may be accessed by the configured select). So,
while making that dependency analysis, I would need to get a list of all
the tables referenced in the select.
So far I have done a regex search for the word where and then had to do
some hacky parsing thereafter. But I don't like that approach. Besides, in
the current form it wouldn't be able to
handle more complex, nested statements (as the one above that I've tested
PlSql.jj with).

(4) Off this particular topic. While looking through Derby's code I
discovered to my amazement that Derby is using OSGi (Apache Felix). Can
you please take a moment and enlighten me
a little on what it is used for? The reason why I am asking is that I am
using already a lot of Apache code (CLI, CODEC, DBCP, POOL) besides
extensive use of Derby. But now I am keenly interested in refactoring my
application to use OSGi. I have been looking at two alternatives - Spring
and Felix and I've been leaning towards Felix. Seeing that Derby is using
it as well makes me even more inclined
to proceed in that direction.

Thanks,
Pavel.

Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com>
Sent by: richard.hille...@sun.com
03/09/2010 03:39 PM
Please respond to
"Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements

Hi Pavel,

Some comments inline...

Pavel Bortnovskiy wrote:

> Rick:
>
> your second point grossly understimated the amount of time it took me
> to get frustrated... it was not quick - it was instanteneous - as soon
> as I opened sqlgrammar.jj....  ;-D
>
> Last question, then, on the subject. Is there any way to easily
> simplify sqlgrammar.jj, so that it frees itself of all the derby
> dependencies and so that
> javacc'ed code can just take a string and give me some kind of lexical
> tree?
This sounds like a frustrating approach too. If you are willing to hack
the Derby code and create your owned forked version, then I would
recommend going into GenericStatement.java and hacking the prepMinion()
method so that you can control the short-circuiting yourself. Look for
the string StopAfterParsing.

> Alternatively, javacc project has various .jj files in its repository,
> two of which are PL/SQL-based (there is one for Oracle 9i).
> Perhaps using those .jj files may work for my purposes?.. Your
> thoughts would be appreciated.
I have never looked at those grammars so I can't advise you here. This
approach also will be peppered with frustrations if what you want to
achieve is a Derby-powered app which performs some extra dependency
tracking. Since the javacc-supplied grammars aren't the Derby grammar,
statements which parse in one grammar may not parse in the other.

So let's step back for a moment. What do you need to achieve here:

o Are you writing a Derby-powered app or just trying to use the Derby
parser against statements which actually run in some other database?

o If this is a Derby-powered app, do you need to track the dependencies
before the statement is executed?

Thanks,
-Rick

> Thank you for your time and attention.
>
> Pavel.
>

> *Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com>*
> Sent by: richard.hille...@sun.com
>
> 03/09/2010 02:45 PM
> Please respond to
> "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

>                Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
>                Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements
>

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Some comments inline...
>
> Pavel Bortnovskiy wrote:
> >
> > Rick (while I am reading  and trying DERBY-4415), that seems like
> > there is no other way to use prod jars and yet stop the parser from
> > binding?
>
> It looks to me as though the shortcircuiting logic is guarded by a check
> for whether the engine is the debug version.
> >
> > Would it be at all possible to use the javacc compiler with
> > sqlgrammar.jj (that are probably bundled in derby.jar) to do the work?
> I think you will discover that the grammar relies on a fair amount of
> session context supplied by the rest of the Derby SQL interpreter. I
> think you will be frustrated very quickly if you try this approach.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -Rick
> >
> > Pavel.
> >

> > *Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com>*
> > Sent by: richard.hille...@sun.com
> >
> > 03/09/2010 01:13 PM
> > Please respond to
> > "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

> >                  Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> >                  Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements
> >

> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > You are right, the XmlTreeWalker class also tries to stop the compiler
> > after parsing. This can only be done with a debug engine. The error
you
> > are seeing comes from the bind() phase of compilation. Derby is
> > complaining that the query doesn't make sense: the objects it mentions
> > don't exist.
> >
> > There's another issue linked from the XmlTreeWalker issue. Take a look
> > at DERBY-4415. This is a slightly more involved solution but may get
you
> > closer. This solution assumes that you are trying to examine the
various
> > phases of the AST for a query against real objects in your database.
> > This should work with the production jars.
> >
> > Hope this is more useful,
> > -Rick
> >
> > Pavel Bortnovskiy wrote:
> > >
> > > Once again, Rick, thanks for your prompt response. To answer your
> > > questions:
> > >
> > > (1) The compilation errors initially had to do with the
SanityManager
> > > and ContextId not available in prod jars.
> > >
> > > (2) Since I am trying to get this code to work in our application,
> > > using debug jars may not be desirable.
> > > More over, our app is using Derby's in-memory tables as well as its
> > > NetworkServerController.
> > > So, this parsing/tree-walking code should not conflict with the
other
> > > two uses.
> > >
> > > In the comments for DERBY-791, I did notice "We should provide some
> > > mechanism for printing these trees in production (non-debug)
servers".
> > > So, I ran XmlTreeWalker linking only to
> > > db-derby-10.5.3.0-bin/lib/derby.jar, but got the same exception:
> > >
> > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > > <queryTree>
> > >     <queryText>select a from t, s where t.a = s.a</queryText>
> > > Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException:
> > > Table/View 'T' does not exist.
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown
Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown

> > > Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown

> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown
> Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement20.<init>(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement30.<init>(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement40.<init>(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.newEmbedPreparedStatement(Unknown
> Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at XmlTreeWalker.execute(XmlTreeWalker.java:130)
> > >         at XmlTreeWalker.main(XmlTreeWalker.java:111)
> > >         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
> > >         at

> > >         at

> > >         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> > >         at
> > > com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:110)
> > > Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown

> > > Source)
> > >         ... 20 more
> > > Caused by: ERROR 42X05: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromBaseTable.bindTableDescriptor(Unknown

> > > Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromBaseTable.bindNonVTITables(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromList.bindTables(Unknown
Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.SelectNode.bindNonVTITables(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bindTables(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bind(Unknown
> Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.CursorNode.bindStatement(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepMinion(Unknown
Source)
> > >         at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepare(Unknown
> > > Source)
> > >         at

org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.prepareInternalStatement(Unknown

> > > Source)
> > >         ... 14 more
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Pavel.
> > >

> > > *Rick Hillegas <richard.hille...@sun.com>*
> > > Sent by: richard.hille...@sun.com
> > >
> > > 03/09/2010 11:22 AM
> > > Please respond to
> > > "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

> > >                  Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
> > > cc
> > >
> > > Subject
> > >                  Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements
> > >

> > > Hi Pavel,
> > >
> > > These programs should be run using the Derby debug jars. I have
edited
> > > the introductory comment to try to make this clear. The debug
> logic must
> > > be compiled into Derby in order for compilation to stop after
parsing.
> > > If you need a solution which runs against the production jars, take
> > > look at the related issue DERBY-791.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > -Rick

> however,

> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown
> Source)

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown

> > Source)
> > Source)

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
> Method)

com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:110)

> > Abstract
> > looking for
> DERBY-791.

> statement