Hi Knut,

Thanks for your response. I tried setting the properties with derby completely
lowercase and still don't seem to be having much luck with what I am trying to
do.

I have tried this a few different ways. Let me try to step through what I'm
doing (and trying to do) and maybe you'll catch where I am going wrong:

Here's what my derby.properties looks like (with auth disabled and the system
level user disabled).

#derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true
#derby.authentication.provider=BUILTIN
#derby.user.adminuser=adminpass
derby.drda.portNumber=9947
derby.drda.host=0.0.0.0
derby.infolog.append=true
derby.stream.error.file=C:/logs/javaserver_derby.log

We have Derby running inside of a Tomcat process/service. I use RazorSQL as my
interface to Derby.

So today I tried:

1. Create database/user via the connection string:
jdbc:derby://localhost:9947/mdb;create=true;user=mdb;password=mdb
without specifying a username/password in the RazorSQL connection profile. This
works.

2. Modify the profile to use the mdb user/pass and remove the connection string
parameters and connect. This works.

3. Issue the following to Derby while logged in as MasterDB:

CALL
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.database.propertiesOnly','true');
CALL
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.connection.requireAuthentication',
 'true');
CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY('derby.authentication.provider',
'BUILTIN');

This works, and I can still log in.

*However* what I want at this point is for no one else to be able to log in
access this database or issue commands to Derby besides the "mdb" user that I
created. My thought was to I enable authentication in derby.properties. However
this then disallows access to the "mdb" user (I assume because the settings in
derby.properies supercede the database level properties).

So either I am doing something wrong, or what I want to do is not possible in
Derby.

Can I have a single database user that can log in and act against a single
database schema without having a user declared in derby.properties in plain
text. And can I deny access to Derby/schema to everyone else? If this is
possible, can someone walk me through the steps to accomplish it.

Thanks,

Rob DiPietro