I have found a solution to my problem:

I create the database in persistence.xml (notice the ";create=true" in the
value of "toplink.jdbc.url") instead of in build.xml:

<persistence-unit name="alexandria" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
   <provider>oracle.toplink.essentials.PersistenceProvider</provider>
    <class>org.alexandria.entity.Book</class>
    <properties>
      <property name="toplink.jdbc.url"

value="jdbc:derby:/home/josepma/documents/assigna/models/apunts/5.ContinuousIntegration/examples/jpa-derby-test/myDB;create=true"/>
      <property name="toplink.ddl-generation" value="create-tables"/>
      <property name="toplink.jdbc.user" value="josepma"/>
      <property name="toplink.jdbc.driver"
                value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"/>
      <property name="toplink.jdbc.password" value="josepma"/>
    </properties>
  </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

If done this way, it is not necessary to include a "create-db" target in
build.xml.

However, I do not fully understand the behaviour of the derby embedded
driver. Therefore, if someone can provide some light on this subject, I
would be grateful.

Thanks again.,

Josepma