On 1/21/14 7:07 AM, Paul Linehan wrote:
Hi Bryan,

I'm trying to migrate a system (72 tables) from MySQL to Apache.
Have you considered using ddlutils: http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/

Yeah, looks interesting for when I come to settle down and write this
sort of thing,
but what I'm trying to do for the moment is just get it up and running on
an ad-hoc basis.

I do know that this isn't ideal - but for the moment (I have to demo something
on Thursday morning!) it'll suffice. Also found http://flywaydb.org/
and http://migrate4j.sourceforge.net/
and will be looking at these too.

Thanks for your interest.

Paul...

bryan
Hi Paul,

You might want to take a look at the optional foreignViews tool, which can be useful for data migration projects like yours: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.10/tools/rtoolsoptforeignviews.html. You can create and populate a Derby table from an external table by following the instructions for loading the foreignViews tool and then issuing statements like the following:

-- create the local Derby table
create table S1.T1 as select * from XYZ_S1.T1 with no data;
insert into S1.T1 select * from XYZ_S1.T1;

You'll still need to add constraints, indexes, triggers, functions, procedures, etc.. But at least you will have a snapshot of the data and much of the application should run. If you have suggestions about what should go into a data migration script produced by the foreignViews tool, your input is welcome on this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6219.

Thanks,
-Rick