While it may be that PostgreSQL is faster, make sure you are measuring
accurately.

First, you should be running the Java Server VM, preferably Java 8.

Second, the server VM JIT compile threshold is 10,000 executions of a given
method -- so the VM will get faster and faster as it progressively compiles
code.  I would run 10000 queries though Derby before taking measurements.

Lastly, PostgreSQL may be running with substantially larger page caches by
default.  To the point where much of the data may be completely in memory.

  Read the Derby Tuning Guide to set the page cache to as close to the same
size as PostgreSQL as possible.

Sent from my iPhone