On 10/18/2015 09:58 AM, Stephen Michel wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Jonathan Roberts
> <robertsthebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How does the math work by the way? I assumed it was exponential until
>> now...
>
> https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/mechanism
>
> You pledge X per other patron.

Actually, it's X per patron, not "other patron"

The math is this simple: You pledge $1 per 1,000 patrons, so that means
if there's 340 patrons, you donate $0.34. If there's 3,400 patrons, you
donate $3.40.

There's no formula to explain. It's that simple. We used to have a more
complex formula for certain objectives, but the complexity was too
cumbersome.

There's nothing exponential here. The quadratic thing is simply this:
1,000 patrons * $1 = $1,000 but 5,000 patrons * $5 = $25,000. Basically,
it's quadratic because it's linear increase in patrons * linear increase
in per-patron donations. So the *total* is quadratic, but each patron's
donation increases linearly.

The key items are: "you pledge X per patron", "your pledge today will be
X * Y given Y patrons", "your matching from others will be Z", the total
from everyone is A"