On 06/09/2016 06:36 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> On 06/09/2016 01:21 PM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
>> I've put some revised mockups at
>> http://techdesignpsych.com/Temporary/snowdrift/ based on recent thoughts
>> and conversations.  Two new things they include are (a) a
>> red/yellow/green max status indicator on every page, and (b) the project
>> pages list three ways it makes a difference to the project whether
>> you're a patron or not.
>>
>> Looking forward to further discussion.
>>
> Thanks, Michael! I like this direction in various ways.
>
> Main item: if we're keeping the global setting for pledge-base-level,
> then there are ramifications of that that need to play out in the rest
> of the mockups.
>
> For example, the amount of cost for a given patron *and* the amount of
> matching in dollars will vary based on this pledge-base variable. A
> generous pledge base will get less than 1:1 matching and the presence of
> generous pledge bases from others will result in a minimal patron
> getting greater than 1:1 matching.
>
> It would be ideal if the interface successfully communicates that this
> is happening and makes the understanding of it clear and
> self-explanatory… The current mockups all have numbers that are when all
> patrons are at a minimum. So what happens in other cases? And is it
> clear enough to people?
>
> Otherwise, I like the 3-benefits informative bit.
>
> Here's an aspect I've wanted that we had in earliest mockups: In the
> place where people can change their pledge-base, a message could say
> "remember, the *best* way to donate more is to promote the project to
> others and gain new patrons (who you will match)" or something to that
> effect. It's nice to note that larger pledge-base could itself provide
> more incentive to others though. My concern here overall is how the
> interface can successfully justify the variable pledge-base and help
> people use it effectively and not counter-productively.

I've made adjustments to all three project mockups to account for
variable pledge-base-level, using the phrase "average pledge value per
patron" to indicate that the pledge value is not the same for every patron.

I've also added something inspired by the above about encouraging them
to spread the word:

http://techdesignpsych.com/Temporary/snowdrift/project_sufficient.html

In thinking about that, I thought of a possible word to use
"crowdmatching" and wondered if Snowdrift has ever considered using
that?  I searched to see if anyone else was using it and found
http://makinggoodthingshappen.org/about-crowdmatching-2/ using it in a
somewhat different way.  For the moment, I've used the phrase "mutual
matching" in the "spread the word" part of the mockup.