On 08/12/2016 08:04 PM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
> On 08/12/2016 08:02 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>> On 08/12/2016 06:58 PM, Stephen Michel wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> I think that this scenario is really hard to parse. It could also result in
>>> a display where you have a carryover from may and a carryover from June
>>> displayed in July, and that gets really busy really quickly (especially if
>>> one or more are also carried over to august).
>>>
>>> I suggest that we aggregate all carryover charges. The small loss in detail
>>> is totally worth the simplicity, imo.
>>>
>> Absolutely! Describing the carry-over from several months with separate
>> list of carry-overs would be crazy. But the aggregated sum can be
>> described as month-month e.g. "March-July carry-over". Effectively, most
>> carry-overs will only happen at the early stage of projects and patrons,
>> when they first start on the system. A new project with some new patrons
>> may have a period of carry-overs, and then no more of that going
>> forward. So, it's just this contiguous set of months that will have
>> carry-overs in almost all cases.
>>
>> To cover all possible scenarios, we could just say "carry-over from
>> earlier months with charges too low to be worth charging" effectively.
>>
>> In any case, it should be one sum number.
>
> That's already what I intended: At most one carry over from the previous
> month and one carry over to the next month.  I don't even think we
> should try to describe what multiple months it may originally come from
> (e.g. no attempt at "March-July carry-over" etc) because that will just
> get too complicated, particularly in the "widdle-away" scenario when
> part of a carry over is paid off in one month but part is carried over
> to the next month.
>
> It would probably be clearer to go back to referring to "next month" and
> "previous month" as I'd done previously, rather than naming the specific
> last and previous months as I tried in this latest version.

Let me try to make my view clearer. I think that it is more
understandable to think this:

"Oh, when things were really low, no charges happened, it just added up
and carried over into the first real charge, although it may take a
couple months in rare cases getting close to budget limit"

Than this:

"This is the carry-over from last month even though last month had a
charge of my budget limit. So, the carry-over must have been from before
because they wouldn't actually bill me more than the monthly budget, right?"

To put it another way: I want people to keep in mind that carry-overs
all just happen from the early low-level first period. I don't want them
to get the impression that carry-overs are a normal occurrence and
should be expected to recur often. So, I prefer that people associate
the carry-over with the early low-level period. I don't want it to be
associated with the most recent month necessarily.

Let's say 5 months go by at low level and finally get to a point worth
charging. I don't want to present the charge as a one-month carry-over.
I want to present it as "we finally have enough for the past 5 months to
put in a charge without excessive fees".

The common scenario could be:

Jan $0.12
Feb $0.34
Mar $1.66
Apr $3.18

So, then we charge in April, and I *like* the idea of saying "this is
all the donations for 4 months in one charge." That seems clear and
understandable. Having to chain back the carry-overs seems harder to
follow or at least risks people misunderstanding what is going on.

I hope my concern is more clear now. I'm not sure what the solution is.

But I will add that this could be put off for the immediate time-being,
so I don't want us to get too distracted perfecting this right now.