Hi,

To the first quoted point, I don't recall ever rejecting Sticky Note
import.  Quite the contrary, I've advocated that we use a first-run
import wizard to aid migration.

Serendipitously, in recent days, most of the major work for importing
has been contributed by Sanford Armstrong in the form of a Tomboy
plugin.  Sanford's patch adds an item to the Tools menu labeled "Import
from Sticky Notes".  But as this is perhaps not the nicest or most
discoverable mechanism I'm trying to figure out how to best integrate
this code for a nice experience.  Comments welcome.

To the second point, I have received very mixed response to the question
of Tomboy's replacing of Sticky Notes.  And we can see that mails to
this list have expressed both points of view, with a slight bias towards
the two coexisting (especially from those who actually use one tool or
the other).

I place myself in the coexist camp, mostly because the interaction
models among the two tools are very different (again, Tomboy ain't
sticky).  A user who is used to Sticky Notes would be very confused if
forced to use Tomboy, and vice versa.

However, if the release committee believes that enforcing a single
note-taking approach is what is best for the desktop, I think it makes
sense to choose the solution which is novel, more scalable wrt the
number of notes, less intrusive on user activity, supports richer note
content, and which opens up possibilities for integration with other
parts of the desktop.

-Alex