On 12/11/2007, Ali Sabil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > However, the most important point for this discussion is that this
> > approach makes it hard to provide a high-level UI a'la Eclipse or Visual
> > Studio which is what many many people are used to. One way to do this is
> > to use a declarative programming language (e.g. XML) to express the
> > build process.
> >
> I agree with you concerning this, and if you took time to check, WAF
> already have an xml representation using wscript_xml files iirc.
>
> The problem with declarative approaches is that you cannot easily
> integrate configure checks, WAF solves this by allowing python
> snippets to be included for the configure check.

Eh, why not?

<check package="glib-2.0" minimalVersion="2.12"/>

Other more advanced constructs (such as checking for a specific Python
package or other) can be implemented with a plugin system like Ant have, or
other means.

I think we should really investigate WAF, and how to make use of the
> XML representation to integrate with let's say Eclipse ?

Yes, the Waf XML representation should definitely be examined.

Cheers,
Mikkel