On 12/11/2007, jamie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 23:50 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > On 12/11/2007, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >         On 12/11/2007, Ali Sabil < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >                 >
> >                 > However, the most important point for this
> >                 discussion is that this
> >                 > approach makes it hard to provide a high-level UI
> >                 a'la Eclipse or Visual
> >                 > Studio which is what many many people are used to.
> >                 One way to do this is
> >                 > to use a declarative programming language (e.g. XML)
> >                 to express the
> >                 > build process.
> >                 >
> >                 I agree with you concerning this, and if you took time
> >                 to check, WAF
> >                 already have an xml representation using wscript_xml
> >                 files iirc.
> >
> >                 The problem with declarative approaches is that you
> >                 cannot easily
> >                 integrate configure checks, WAF solves this by
> >                 allowing python
> >                 snippets to be included for the configure check.
> >
> >         Eh, why not?
> >
> >         <check package="glib-2.0" minimalVersion="2.12"/>
> >

> >         Other more advanced constructs (such as checking for a
> >         specific Python package or other) can be implemented with a
> >         plugin system like Ant have, or other means.
> >
> >                 I think we should really investigate WAF, and how to
> >                 make use of the
> >                 XML representation to integrate with let's say
> >                 Eclipse ?
> >
> >         Yes, the Waf XML representation should definitely be examined.
> >
> > I took a closer look at the WAF XML serialization. It is indeed very
> > waf-specific, relies on inlined Python code, not really XML-ish in
> > style. So I would not go down that road.
> >
> > I put up a small example more in the way I would do things for the
> > imaginary libbaboom: http://grillbar.org/cook/recipe.xml
> >
> > Here are the ideas outlined:
> >
> >  * Be explicit - never have existence of special values or files be
> > implied by some odd check or construct. If you create files you
> > specify the names and dirs they go in, and if you run a check the
> > value of the check is stored in a named variable.
> >
> >  * Note in the checkDepends target that we have pre-defined tool
> > names. Some are generic, fx. "cc" which means "a c compiler", others
> > are specific such as gtk-doc.
> >
> >  * It is build system implementation agnostic (can be implemented on
> > top of auto*, waf, or what ever)
> >
> >  * Using the "tool" metaphor we can basically compile anything from
> > assembler  to Java classes.
> >
> >  * You can understand the build recipe without documentation
> >
> >  * Provide helper elements for 95% of the common build actions to
> > avoid "scripting", ie; selecting files matching a given pattern,
> > checking for various stuff, basic file operations, search/replace
> > etc.
> >
> > Yes, this is very close to "generic Ant". Ant is a widely adopted and
> [...]

You know what? Maybe I will. I have been sketching a design in my head and I
think it can be rocking quite hard :-)

While I would probably not go the XSLT route, an initial stab in Python
converting to auto* would probably be my choice.

Maybe I should punk some of the other Pythonists at the office to help me
out (Mads - you know who you are...).

Cheers,
Mikkel