On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Alan Cox <a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 05:47:30 -0500
> "Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpie...@mecheye.net> wrote:
>
> > The hardware accelerated graphics API that the rest of the world has
> > depended upon is OpenGL, minus Direct3D for obvious reasons. It's
> > unfortunate, but if OpenGL isn't supported on these devices, a hardware
> > accelerated desktop isn't going to be possible. I don't think it's worth
> it
> > to write hardware acceleration code because the driver maintainers
> couldn't
> > give us the API that everybody else has.
>
> LLVMpipe gives you that API

Sure. It's not hardware-accelerated, though, which is the issue we're
discussing with PowerVR. If they implement what we need in terms of a
hardware-accelerated graphics rendering API (OpenGL, plus a few extensions
here and there), things should start to work.

> > The issue should be fixed at the driver level, not at the GNOME level.
>
> You can't fix it at the driver level or that easily at the Gl level. The
> problem you have is that Gl type rendering doesn't allow the stack
> sufficient ability to identify optimisations for what is basically for
> the most part 2D abuse of the 3D API. In addition it is more CPU
> intensive to do Gl emulation which in todays world means that it costs
> power and thus battery life.

Sure, we can argue about whether GL is a good API for what we're doing, and
design better APIs for rendering 2D graphics efficiently (XRender,
anyone?), but a simple fact remains: OpenGL is the API we have for doing
hardware-accelerated graphics rendering, like it or not.

Implementing a software renderer for gnome-shell / Clutter isn't on my list
of things to do in the near future.

--
  Jasper