On Wed, 2020-02-12 at 16:35 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 2:09 pm, Britt Yazel <bwya...@gnome.org> wrote:
> > I have had horrible experiences with Matrix/Riot.im. I'm not sure
> > which of those is due to the IRC bridge or which is due to Matrix
> > itself, or which is due to the clients, but I really shouldn't 'have'
> > to know the chat system at that level. My experience has been awful.
>
> Here is my suggestion: fellow Matrix proponents, let's turn off the IRC
> bridge ASAP. All we've accomplished by running the IRC bridge is
> convincing GNOME devs that Matrix is awful. I'm pretty sure that all of
> this negative feedback is about the IRC bridge.

Yeah, I also think most of the Matrix issues that people see are either
related to IRC bridging or that the public servers we rely on were
overloaded.

So, said differently, I would expect that anyone using a walled garden
Rocket.Chat instance (i.e. chat.gnome.org) without all that baggage
will have a great user experience in comparison. But, unfortunately,
that tells us nothing about which chat system is superior.

One could do this comparison properly. But it would need setting up a
private Matrix server for GNOME (possibly without Federation) and then
checking how well it holds up when compared to Rocket.Chat.

I have no idea which option is superior. And that can be a hard
question as it might even differ depending on whether your focus is on
e.g. short term experience vs. long term technical viability. That
said, I would love to see arguments here (for oragainst each chat
system) that I can compare in a useful manner.

Benjamin

PS: I had a nice chat with the Rocket.Chat person at FOSDEM who was
keen on getting IRC bridging up and running on their side. He said that
when I mentioned that Red Hat had experimented with it. If someone is
serious about this, I can pass on the contact.