Thanks. You reported the original bug from a Wayland session. Please try
logging out and then selecting the Xorg session on the login screen.
Does the bug still occur?

I suspect that's the main issue here. Not the presence of nvdia-
driver-470 directly, but it will change what default session type you
get. nvdia-driver-470 will force a Xorg session by default which allows
apps to place windows/widgets themselves. Not having an Nvidia driver
installed, you will get a Wayland session and apps are not allowed to
position themselves (although I thought gnome-shell had a workaround for
that for compatibility with Xwayland).

Please:

1. Uninstall nvdia-driver-470

2. Reboot

3. On the login screen select 'Ubuntu on Xorg' instead of the default
'Ubuntu' option.


** Summary changed:

- xserver for NVDIA GeForce GT710 not showing widgets but windows
+ Weather widgets appear in the wrong position in a Wayland session

** Package changed: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator (Ubuntu) =>
mutter (Ubuntu)

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in
Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2057964

Title:
  Weather widgets appear in the wrong position in a Wayland session

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  On my Ububtu 22.04.4 system, NVDIA GeForce GT710, my-weather-indicator does 
not show widget as they should be (move them across desktop, positioning, 
showing on all desktop, etc.), but are shown as windows, impossible to move 
from the position they have when shown.
  If I switch my drivers to nvdia-driver-470, surprise!: everything works as 
expected, widgets are really widgets and I can see weather information on every 
desktop, in the position I placed them.
  The problem is that I can't use nvdia-driver-470 because they let crash my 
digital signature application, which is more important to me than weather info, 
so I have to use xorg-server, but I would like it to work correctly with 
widgets as well.
  --- 
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 22.04
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2024-03-03 (12 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64 
(20240220)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator 42-2~fakesync1
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.5.0-25.25~22.04.1-generic 6.5.13
  Tags:  jammy
  Uname: Linux 6.5.0-25-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo vboxusers
  _MarkForUpload: True
  --- 
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 22.04
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2024-03-03 (12 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64 
(20240220)
  Package: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator 42-2~fakesync1
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.5.0-25.25~22.04.1-generic 6.5.13
  Tags:  jammy wayland-session
  Uname: Linux 6.5.0-25-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo vboxusers
  _MarkForUpload: True

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/2057964/+subscriptions


-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to