In fact, if I use the 'Copy all to clipboard' option to save a text file with
the paper size as A4 and as US Letter, diff finds no differences. So basically
the user's preference for this is not being saved in the usual manner. Maybe
this is why it is clobbered on upgrades?
It is still not an excuse for defaulting to US Letter in the first place, when
the environment (such as LANG="en_GB.utf8" in my case) is clearly for the
European option, and not US.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  firefox/thunderbird default to US Letter for papersize

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  Often after upgrading or installing ubuntu  (now running 10.04.1) I
  notice (after a while, since I don't print that often from
  browser/e-mail client) that the papersize is set to US Letter again.
  I'm not quite sure why this happen, because I live in the Netherlands,
  there's no US Letter here, ever (unless you get some special paper
  sent in ;-)

  Obviously in a longer running system, this is set in my system to A4
  paper (systemsettings/locale/other/paper format). however, I found
  that in /etc/papersize it said "letter". So I guess there are more
  places to configure this. (I promptly changed that using "sudo
  paperconfig -p a4", so perhaps this problem is over now...

  Perhaps this bug needs to be moved to systemconfiguration/locale with
  a summary: "systemsettings papersize configuration doesn't cover all
  places where papersize is configured" or something...

  Cheers

  Simon

  PS, why is there no option to report a bug from http://bugs.launchpad.net, I
had to go through the ubuntu-bug tool to get here...

  Package: thunderbird 3.0.6+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.41-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Date: Tue Aug 31 22:02:22 2010
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, user)