Unfortunately (1) moving some machines to 12.04 is not an acceptable option due
to the vast differences in user interface, and (2) it is still not right (as
far as I can tell) with 12.04 as a recently installed test system when set up
for UK preferences with an OKI network printer set for A4, both Firefox and
Thunderbird still default to US Letter paper size.
Even more irritating is the behaviour when each upgrade of Firefox or
Thunderbird, often for security reasons and not choice, changes the settings
back - that is fundamentally broken behaviour and is the sort of old MS
arrogance of "we don't care what you configured, we know best" by resetting
user's preferences for no good reason. I don't know (yet) if they break this on
upgrades for 12.04 as we have not really used/checked this on the test system.
Since 10.04 is supposed to be LTS and this bug is old, it should be fixed for
10.04. Also I doubt it is an OS-side problem but must be an application
problem, most certainly the arbitrary reset of previously configured
preferences must be!

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  firefox/thunderbird default to US Letter for papersize

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Unknown
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  Often after upgrading or installing ubuntu  (now running 10.04.1) I
  notice (after a while, since I don't print that often from
  browser/e-mail client) that the papersize is set to US Letter again.
  I'm not quite sure why this happen, because I live in the Netherlands,
  there's no US Letter here, ever (unless you get some special paper
  sent in ;-)

  Obviously in a longer running system, this is set in my system to A4
  paper (systemsettings/locale/other/paper format). however, I found
  that in /etc/papersize it said "letter". So I guess there are more
  places to configure this. (I promptly changed that using "sudo
  paperconfig -p a4", so perhaps this problem is over now...

  Perhaps this bug needs to be moved to systemconfiguration/locale with
  a summary: "systemsettings papersize configuration doesn't cover all
  places where papersize is configured" or something...

  Cheers

  Simon

  PS, why is there no option to report a bug from http://bugs.launchpad.net, I
had to go through the ubuntu-bug tool to get here...

  Package: thunderbird 3.0.6+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.41-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Date: Tue Aug 31 22:02:22 2010
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, user)