This could be just a manifestation of bug #435719. Not sure though,
because the original report does not mention if /home is mounted on NFS.

  .odt and .ods open with fileroller instead of openoffice

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: nautilus

  Using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, whenever I try and open an ODT or ODS
  document over SFTP, (see [1]) , Archive Manager (or fileroller) is
  opened instead. I right-click > Properties > Open With [tab] > select
  OpenOffice.org Speadsheet (for ODS) and OpenOffice.org Word Processor
  (for ODT). I also change right click > Open with Other Application...
  to the appropriate application and it still seems to open with Archive
  Manager.

  Something really funky has been up with Nautilus over SFTP for some
  time, because I'm had numerous bugs where Nautilus can't support
  .htaccess[2] and other file types. It's like over SFTP, the file
  association that I'm used to on my local hard drive just disappears.

  Similar but older and closed bug[3]

  [1] sftp://brett@192.168.2.100/home/brett/Documents/test.odt
  [2] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/287942
  [3] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/36620

  Package: nautilus 1:2.30.1-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Architecture: amd64
  CheckboxSubmission: fecf1cd777465e3e20edd8045909b356
  CheckboxSystem: b8f3ec504801f13fc208edb5c785b099
  Date: Mon May 24 21:49:27 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_CA.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: nautilus