Any updates on this bug, Sebastien?

** Changed in: sun-java6 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to shared-mime-info in Ubuntu.

  javaws does not register file extension/mime types

Status in “shared-mime-info” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “sun-java6” package in Ubuntu:

  JNLP has the <association> element, allowing web start apps to
  register with the host desktop and browser as the handler for  certain
  file extensions and mime types. On Gutsy, this functionality does not
  exist.

  Steps to repro:
  1. I will upload a minimal web start project having the <association> element
set to <association extensions="fribid" mime-type="application/x-fribbity"/>
  2. execute ant jws-run which will install the app. The app behavior isn't
relevant, we just want javaws to install and register it.
  3. In Nautilus, locate file "delme.fribid".
      Expected behavior: Nautilus knows that javaws is the registered app to
open ".fribid" files
      Actual behavior: Nautilus detects delme.fribid as a text file.

  4. Copy the file delme.fribid to an Apache web server
  5. On the web server edit /etc/mime.types, add the line
"application/x-fribbity fribid"
  6. Using Firefox on the Gutsy system, surf to the delme.fribid file
      Expected behavior: Firefox launches javaws
      Actual behavior: Firefox treats it as an unknown file type.