Scott,
could we get python3-virtkey updated to 0.62.0 in the Nexus 7 PPA too? This
would allow Onboard to show proper key labels for the number block and fix the
action of the NumLock key.
Raring has it already (0.62.0-0ubuntu1), though I've only now updated Onboard's
version requirements.
Built from source, it works alright with Onboard 0.99-tr1071-0nexus7.1 and
current trunk on my Nexus 7.

Packages, which is subscribed to cairo in Ubuntu.

  1st time running onboard with default theme is painfully slow

Status in Cairo Graphics Library:
  Confirmed
Status in Onboard on-screen keyboard:
  Fix Committed
Status in Ubuntu on the Nexus 7:
  Confirmed
Status in “cairo” package in Ubuntu:

  The current behavior tweak of onboard is to hide it when the session
  starts.

  This leads to a useability issue when starting the dash for the first
  time, e.g. as the dash opens and an empty onboard frame is rendered
  but not usable for 45 seconds.

  I would prefer to have the keyboard opened when the session starts and
  pay the price then, rather than randomly irritating the user the first
  time he/she tries to do input.