I guess it might be the epson driver after all...

Packages, which is subscribed to ghostscript in Ubuntu.

  duplex printing gone

Status in GS-GPL  -  GPL Ghostscript:
  Fix Released
Status in “ghostscript” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “ghostscript” source package in Oneiric:

  Unabl4e to do duplex printing using Ubuntu 11.10 , Brother 2170W
  printer. My set-up is dual booting with Win 7 and Ubuntu current
  version connected to the printer by wireless. Windows (Word) prints
  duplex without difficulty but I have been unable to duplex print with
  Ubuntu since leaving 10.04 where it worked fine. The problem seems to
  be program independent; I am using Libre in Ubuntu. I strongly suspect
  that the driver for the printer in Ubuntu is inappropriate. All advice
  will be appreciated.