I'm going to mark this as invalid since it's clearly not an issue with
pulseaudio, I don't understand why it has enough bandwidth for HD video,
but not for a single audio channel... but that requires more research
and a different bug, perhaps the USB system pools USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
bandwidth separately.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  4th USB audio device cannot record.

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Not completely sure if this is pulseaudio or the underlying ALSA...
  but I have 3 working USB audio devices, when I plug in the 4th it is
  not possible to record from it.  You can play back to any of the 4
  devices, but, whichever is plugged in last cannot be recorded from,
  and shows up without a vu meter in pavucontrol (Even tho it has volume
  sliders!)

  Package: pulseaudio 1:3.0-0ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu4