I can't run the tests on my system unfortunately.

But I can produce the stale greeter. I followed
test-switch-to-greeter-return-session.
With lightdm --version: lightdm 1.5.1

What I did:
- First greeter shown
1. Log in with cavalier
- Session started
2. Send Session.Lock DBus signal
- Second greeter shown
3. Unlock session with user cavalier
- Switch to unlocked session
To verify greeter termination:
4. Press Crtl+Alt+F8
- Second greeter still alive - Expected an empty VT

As seen in the log:
Starting local X display
Using VT 7
Activating VT 7
Connecting to XServer :0
Starting greeter
Started session 257 with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
Session 257 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
Greeter authorized
Activating VT 7
Greeter start authentication for cavalier
Started session 425 with service 'lightdm', username 'cavalier'
Session 425 got 1 message(s) from PAM
Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
Continue authentication
Session 425 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
Authentication result for user cavalier: Success
User cavalier authorized
Stopping greeter
Session 257: Sending SIGTERM
Greeter closed communication channel
Session 257 exited with return value 0
Greeter quit
Starting session xfce as user cavalier
Locking seat
Starting new display for greeter with user cavalier selected
Starting local X display
Using VT 8
Connecting to XServer :1
Logging in user cavalier
Started session 544 with service 'lightdm', username 'cavalier'
Session 544 authentication complete with return value 19: Conversation error
Autologin failed authentication
Session 544: Sending SIGTERM
Started session 545 with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
Session 544 terminated with signal 15
Session 545 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
Greeter authorized
Activating VT 8
Locking display
Locking logind session /org/freedesktop/login1/session/_31
Greter start authentication for cavalier
Started session 565 with service 'lightdm', username 'cavalier'
Session 565 got 1 message(s) from PAM
Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
Continue authentication
Session 565 authentication complete with return value 0: Success
Authentication result for user cavalier: Success
User cavalier authorized
Switching to existing session for user cavalier
Unlocking display
Unlocking logind session /org/freedesktop/login1/session/_31
Activating VT 7
Locking display

As can be seen from the log. This version of lightdm includes the
systemd-logind patches on top of 1.5.1.

In the test scripts there is a check for the termination of the X server and
greeter. In the test I performed this doesn't seem to happen.
I was unable the locate the code which should terminate the greeter and X
server, hence my merge request.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm doesn't terminate alternate session login

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Incomplete
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Choosing "Switch to different user" in Ubuntu gives you another login
  screen, which is very nice and useful. However after using that
  alternate session, lightdm keeps the X server and greeter for that
  alternate session open and running. Gdm, on the contrary, terminates
  the X server for the alternate session when you log out of it.

  This behaviour does make a difference when you run Ubuntu on a laptop
  on battery. Using the alternate login just once after boot (and ending
  the session again) initiates a constant cpu load of 1-2% (on my
  laptop). Doesn't sound much. But compared to "idle" without the second
  X server and greeter, this is an increase of about 75%.

  I admit that I didn't have the time to keep the laptop running idlely
  und doing some real battery measurements. But with a laptop on
  battery, you should use any possibility to save energy.