** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  random freeze

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:

  The system locks up at random.  It may not lock for a day after
  booting up the machine.  It may lock up after a few minutes of booting
  up the machine.  Sometimes the display just freezes, displaying
  whatever was last being displayed on the monitor.  Sometimes the
  monitor displays a solid color when locking up.  The machine does not
  respond to pings nor any of the key combinations involving sysrq.  The
  only way to recover is a hard reset.

  The machine is running Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS Release:        12.04

  The computer is a HP Pavilion p6-2003w Desktop PC.

  The url  giving its specs is below.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03052733&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5151865&prodTypeId=12454

  Motherboard AAHD2-HY (Holly)

  Manufacturer: Pegatron
  Form factor: uATX: 24.38 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.38 cm (9.6 inches)
  Chipset: AMD Hudson-D2 FCH
  Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
  Front side bus speeds: 100 MHz UMI (Unified Media Interface)
  Processor socket: FM1
  Expansion Slots:
  PCI-Express Generation 2 speed

      1 PCI Express x16
      3 PCI Express x1
      1 PCI Express Mini Card x1

  Processor
  AMD E2 3200 Processor

      TDP: 65W
      Operating speed: Up to 2.4 GHz
      Number of cores: 2
      Socket: FM1
      Bus speed: 4.0 GT/s HT3

  Memory
  4 GB

      Amount: 4 GB
      Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec
      Type: DDR3-1333

  The above is the memory it came with.  I have since added another
  identical 4GB.  This upgrade did not affect the random lockup problem.

  Built in graphics
  AMD E-Series Processors
  E2-3200       HD 6370D        65W
  This is the on board graphics.  I have added an NVIDIA geforce 210 1024MB
card. This upgrade did not affect the random lockup problem.

  Sound/Audio
  Integrated Realtek ALC 656 Audio
  *Integrated audio is not available if a sound card is installed.

      Built-in High Definition 5.1 channel audio
      Audio codec: Realtek ALC 656

  Networking
  LAN: 1000-Base-T

      Interface: PCI Express x1
      Technology: Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet controller
      Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mb/s
      Transmission standards: 1000-Base-T Ethernet

  I added an additional RTL8111 PCIe nic.  This also did not affect the
  locking up issue.

  The machine came with windows7.  I soon replaced it with XP.  The
  random lockup bug didn't show itself until I replaced windows with
  Kubuntu.  For a few weeks I tried Slackware 14.0 64bit and did not
  experience any problem with randome freezes during this time.  When I
  reinstalled Kubuntu, the random lockup bug returned.

  Thanks for your help.

  Derek

  Package: xorg 1:7.6+12ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-26.42~precise1-generic 3.5.7.6
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-26-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.1
  Architecture: amd64