> As I mentioned in my report, what I see is "Looked up gmail.com..."
> (which is complete nonsense)

This message/situation is same as "when FQDN is not found in DNS", and is
easily seen by POP3 definition with dummy/non-existent server such as x.x.x.
The messag is "DNS is looke up".
What is base of your "nosense" on message related to DNS look up?

> and then nothing. It doesn't show any error message at all.
> IN SOME PREVIOUS VERSION it did show an error message,
> but I can't check now the exact wording;
> it may well have been "Failed to connect to server", as you say.

With POP3 definition with dummy/non-existent server such as x.x.x, old Tb
showed connection error message when server is not found in DNS.
Recent Tb stopped annoying connection error error message.
  While looking up DNS, "Looking up".
  After end of DNS look up, "Looked up".
  If server is not found, stop further action,
  because trying to connect to non-exstent server is nonsense.

Because phenomenon with Wifi and phenomenon is when Wifi router doesn't have
server connection yet, it may be following.
- In PC, DNS server is defined as 192.168.0.1.
- Wifi router's local IP address is 192.168.0.1
  i.e. Wifi roter behaves as proxy server to DNS, or a DNS server.
- Wifi router gets actual DNS address of his provider upon connection
  establishment with his server.
- Wifi router returns "not found", if actual IP address of DNS of his
  provider is not known yet.

If you can reproduce your problem consistently,
(A) Before you try to connect to server from Tb,
connect to 192.168.0.1 from Browser and check Wifi router's WAN side status. Is
DNS address set always? If DNS IP address is shown, do "tracert or ping
the-ip-address-of-DNS" at Terminal. Is response returned within reasonable
period?
Write ddown the actual DNS's IP address.
(B) Actual DNS address is usualy not changed so frequently.
Before you try to connect to server from Tb, do "tracert
written-down-ip-address-of-DNS" at Terminal. Is response returned within
reasonable period?
(C) How about "tracert or ping ???.gmail.com"?
    IIRC, I already requested this to you in comment #2...

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird complains there is no connection on resume from suspend,
  when there is a connection

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  When I resume from suspend, network manager quickly re-establishes a
  WiFi internet connection.  With an active connection, I try to check
  my mail with Thunderbird, but it complains that it can't connect to
  the IMAP server.  This seems to happen after longer suspend periods
  because if I try to replicate the behaviour by quickly suspending and
  resuming (suspend of a few seconds), I get no warning.

  Package: thunderbird 3.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Date: Sun May 23 12:26:28 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100412)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_GB.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: thunderbird