> I see the exact same issue when I use a USB mobile broadband modem instead.
> By the way, my DNS is NOT defined as 192.168.1.1, it is 8.8.4.4 (Google's
> DNS).

If problem happens when no route to internet(phone cable is pulled of from
modem), it's perhaps one of next;
- timeout in DNS server access
- Tb's problem when PC's IP address is changed by DHCP retention,
  DNS cache is not cleared, ...
If problem happens when other software like broweser can access to intenet
normally, other component of Tb like SMTP can send mail, other mail client can
access ...gmail.com with no problem even though Tb fails with "looked up
gmail.com", ..., etc.,
it's perhaps one of next;
- timeout in DNS server access i Tb
- Tb's problem when PC's IP address is changed by DHCP retention,
  DNS cache is not cleared, ... (known issues)

If you can reproduce your problem consistently, do following, please.
(i) Before try to access server from Tb, go Work Offline, then go Work Online.
This disconnects from server, and restart network connection from scratch.
IIRC, DNS cache related issue, IP address change relate issue, is bypassed by
this.
(ii) Get DNS server access log with timestamp.
     See bug 402793 comment #28.
> Win example :
>  SET NSPR_LOG_MODULES=timestamp,nsHostResolver:5,imap:5,pop3:5
Timeout in DNS server access?

> Regarding the other issue, the NONSENSE is that:
> 1. when connection to the server fails for whatever reason, no matter
> whether it is because the host is unreachable or because the name can't be
> resolved, it must show a message telling you what the failure is (such as
> "couldn't resolve domain name", or whatever), not a message that tells you
> what was the last thing it did and which doesn't even tell you whether it
> was a success or failure! ("looked up xxxx", as in "I looked up the domain.
> Don't ask me whether I found it or not").  When you tell a program to do
> something it must end in either or two ways: (a) "I'm finished doing what
> you asked me: the result is xxxx", or (b) "I couldn't complete the task
> because something went wrong: the error was xxxxx".
> 2. Even if you are not connected to the internet at all, it still says
> "looked up gmail.com"!!!! That's complete nonsense.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird complains there is no connection on resume from suspend,
  when there is a connection

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  When I resume from suspend, network manager quickly re-establishes a
  WiFi internet connection.  With an active connection, I try to check
  my mail with Thunderbird, but it complains that it can't connect to
  the IMAP server.  This seems to happen after longer suspend periods
  because if I try to replicate the behaviour by quickly suspending and
  resuming (suspend of a few seconds), I get no warning.

  Package: thunderbird 3.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-22.33-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Date: Sun May 23 12:26:28 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Alpha amd64 (20100412)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_GB.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: thunderbird