Using 12.10 and 13.04, I tried what Scott O'Nanski just mentioned. Using
guvcview (or any other webcam software) other than cheese works
perfectly on several types of webcams. Juts tested an HP 1080p camera
and a Genius one. Both work perfect. But if I use cheese with them,
everything looks lagged. Feels like 5fps instead of 30fps. This only
happens with cheese.

Packages, which is subscribed to cheese in Ubuntu.

  Netbooks- Cheese video recording is laggy at higher video resolutions

Status in Cheese Camera Application:
  Fix Released
Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Invalid
Status in “cheese” package in Ubuntu:

  Build Version/Date: unr-jaunty 20090609
  Environment used for testing:  Dell Inspiron Mini 1011

to the point where it drops more frames than it captures.

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Install OS from USB
  2. Go through config
  3. Open cheese, record a video