Doug Barbieri, thank you for your comment. So your hardware and problem may be
tracked, could you please file a new report by executing the following in a
terminal:
ubuntu-bug xorg

For more on this, please see the official Ubuntu documentation:
Ubuntu X.Org Team, Ubuntu Bug Control, and Ubuntu Bug Squad:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/BestPractices#X.2BAC8-Reporting.Focus_on_One_Issue
Ubuntu Community:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_reporting_etiquette

When opening up the new report, please feel free to subscribe me to it.

Please note, not filing a new report will delay your problem being
addressed as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Laptop psmouse doesin't work after log in on Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit)

Status in “xserver-xorg-input-synaptics” package in Ubuntu:

  On bootup, the laptop builtin mouse works correctly (even the scroll
  pad works) on the graphics log in screen. But when you log in, the
  mouse cursor disappears and stops working. I have to use my bluetooth
  mouse from this point on.

  If I do the following commands, it starts working again:

  # modprobe -r psmouse
  # modprobe psmouse proto=imps

  However, the scroll pad (side scroll bar on the touchpad) no longer
  will scroll large pages, and just moves the mouse around on the
  screen.

  This worked fine under Ubuntu 11+ 32bit.

  Release:      12.04
  ---
  DistroCodename: precise
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  DistroVariant: ubuntu
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
  Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.6.2-1ubuntu1~precise2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags:  precise running-unity ubuntu
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-30-generic x86_64
  UnreportableReason: Please work this issue through technical support channels
first.
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo vboxusers