First, the kernel has no influence to printing results. All the printing
logic is happening in user space.

Please do the following tests and tell in which cases you get useful
printouts (and if so, also tell whether there are quality differences,
the PPD files are ones which you had attached in comment #2, file.pdf is
an arbitrary PDF file):

lpadmin -p oldppd -E -v ipp://EPSON25B56D.local:631/ipp/print -P
EPSON-WF-3620-Series17-04.ppd
lpadmin -p newppd -E -v ipp://EPSON25B56D.local:631/ipp/print -P
EPSON_WF_3620_series17-10.ppd

lp -d oldppd -o cupsPrintQuality=Draft file.pdf
lp -d oldppd -o cupsPrintQuality=Normal file.pdf
lp -d oldppd -o cupsPrintQuality=High file.pdf

lp -d newppd -o cupsPrintQuality=Draft file.pdf
lp -d newppd -o cupsPrintQuality=Normal file.pdf
lp -d newppd -o cupsPrintQuality=High file.pdf

For these tests please also follow the instructions of the section "CUPS
error_log" on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Driverless printing only prints a blank sheet 17.10

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:

  Driverless printing works perfectly in Ubuntu 17.04 with my Epson WF 3620.
Scanning is also perfect.
  I have 17.10 on another SSD and driverless printing was working but recent
updates have broken this. I reinstalled from the Aug 14th daily build and have
updated it daily but printing still does not work