Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 17.04 (zesty) reached end-of-life on January 13, 2018.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test. If you then find the bug is still
present in the newer Ubuntu version, please add a comment here telling
us which new version it is in and change the bug status to Confirmed.

** Changed in: ubuntu-gnome

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Attempting to update extensions through Epiphany fails and messes
  everything up

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:

  I am running Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 with GNOME 3.24, and if I am to use
  Epiphany then there is one hell of an issue with updating extensions.
  So if I went here https://extensions.gnome.org/local/ in Epiphany and
  tried to update an extension with little green up arrow, then for a
  few of them it might work, but sooner rather than later I would just
  get a big white on red "ERROR" message where the buttons would
  normally be. At which point, if I had tried to update extensions which
  were disabled at the time of me trying to update them, they would
  become enabled and be stuck on that mode until I restarted my machine.

  It also appears to break a lot of things with gnome-shell, though what
  it does each time appears rather random. This issue was present in
  GNOME 3.22, but certainly got worse with everything in the AO breaking
  with 3.24.

  If I try to disable or enable any of the affected extensions using the
  gnome-tweak-tool then I am unable to move the slider and there is a
  little "error loading extension" (gnome-tweak-
  tool_Extension_Errors.png) next to each one, I am also unable to get
  the "Remove" button to work.

  I have also attached some screenshots of the kinds of strange things
  that occur when I do this. You will also notice the "Applications" and
  "Places" (Applications_Places_Menus_Showing.png) menus being present,
  those extensions are some of those that weren't on originally, but
  then got jammed on when I tried to update them even though I never
  actually tried to turn them on. If I then restart my system I can
  disable and even remove them, but not until a full restart is
  performed. Not even restarting gnome-shell seems to work.

  I have also noticed that after I start seeing "ERROR" on the website
  that I get the same or just the update arrow reappears a few seconds
  after clicking it with all the other extensions and thus am unable to
  update them. This is all rather annoying.

  Note: Any strange big white boxes or black boxes in the screenshots
  are just me hiding personal information etc.