Hello B3nmore,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with Thunderbird.

You made this bug report in 2010 and there have been several versions of
Ubuntu and Thunderbird since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 601897

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for
this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and Thunderbird better.

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Retention policy "Delete all but the most recent xx messages" deletes
  most recent messages.

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  I'm using thunderbird 3.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu4 on an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
  x86_64 machine as feed reader. For some feeds I would like to use the
  retention policy "Delete all but the most recent xx messages". Setting
  xx to let's say ten, causes thunderbird to delete all but ten messages
  in a feed folder. But the remaining messages are not the most recent
  ones but some in the middle of the time line.

  Get the same behavior for icedove 3.0.5 on debian unstable.