Hello Matt,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with hplip.  You made
this bug report some time ago and Ubuntu and hplip have been updated since
then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
If it is still a problem, are you still interested in finding a solution to
this bug?
If you are, could you let us know and, in the current version, could you run
the following (only once):
apport-collect 401097
and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this
particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and hplip better.
[Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager]

** Changed in: hplip (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  Left/right alignment of page is backwards?

Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gscan2pdf

  If I'm scanning something which is much smaller than the size of the
  flatbed, and I place it at the "zero" corner (as physically marked on
  the scanner at the "upper right" from the viewpoint of the sensor), I
  get a blank scan.  If I place it at the "upper left" instead, I get a
  correct scan.

  This is with an HP OfficeJet 5500:
  Bus 005 Device 003: ID 03f0:3a11 Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet 5500 series