Thanks for the update, Eivind. I'll close the ticket now.
Have a great day!
:)

** Changed in: hplip (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: hplip

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  hp-toolbox and others fail to find cups printers due to charset issues

Status in HPLIP:
  Invalid
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Distro: Gentoo
  Printer: HP Photosmart D7160

  My problem is that none of the hplip tools are able to detect my cups
  printers.  I've traced to issue down to the cupsext module.

  The call to cupsext.getPrinters() returns an empty list when run by
  e.g. hp-toolbox.  If I run this function in a python shell manually,
  the call works as expected (~6 printers are returned).

  I used strace for extra information, and noticed error messages in the
  cups http response about an unsupported character set (iso-8859-1).

  Running e.g. hp-toolbox as
     $ LANG=C hp-toolbox
  works.

  My normal locale is no_NO.

  Trying to provoke this error by calling cupsext.getPrinters() manually
  in a python shell has so far failed, no LANG settings have been able
  to provoke the error, it only happens when called by hplip tools like
  hp-toolbox and hp-check.

  The attached hp-check.log is run using my normal locale (no_NO), when
  run with LANG=C, it is able to find printers.  For some reason,
  running hp-check as root allways fails to find the printers, no matter
  how I set the LANG variable, while as a normal user, setting LANG=C
  works.