Hi,

I have this same problem on Ubuntu 18.04 i386, using an up-to-date
bionic environment (main/universe/multiverse of bionic, bionic-updates
and bionic-backports repos) .

I am attaching an apport service /var/crash log file. I couldn't find
any network-manager-gnome dbg packages, so I'm not sure the backtrace
will have symbols. If you need more information I am happy to help.

Reproduction: Launch nm-connection-editor, then double-click a connection to
modify it.
Workaround: Install gnome-keyring (which recommended package, not a dependency)
[1]

Given 18.04 is the last Ubuntu release with i386 support, I am unable to
move to a more recent Ubuntu release such as cosmic (or beyond) at this
stage. I am developing a live CD used by many users who aren’t Linux
experts, may have poor internet connection and may be using very old
computers. Given it's a non-persistent environment, saving passwords
with gnome-keyring is not useful, and the password prompt will likely
cause much confusion. My intention is to provide an i386 version based
on Ubuntu 18.04 until the maintenance support window ends in 2023 [2]

[1] https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/network-manager-gnome
[2] https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

** Attachment added: "_usr_bin_nm-connection-editor.999.crash"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/1806269/+attachment/5296863/+files/_usr_bin_nm-connection-editor.999.crash

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-connection-editor crashes when trying to modify connection

Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu:

  Thread 1 "nm-connection-e" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

  0x00007ffff7ba6b53 in modules_initialized (object=<optimised out>,
res=0x555556048a40, user_data=<optimised out>) at
src/libnma/nma-cert-chooser-button.c:98
  98      src/libnma/nma-cert-chooser-button.c: No such file or directory.

  This occurs when the package "gnome-keyring" is not installed.