I'm marking this fixed as geoclue 2.5.7 is already in the development series
(hirsute).
I have added the rls-gg-incoming and rls-hh-incoming tags to mark it as a
candidate for a SRU to groovy (20.10) and focal (20.04). This will be reviewed
at the next desktop team meeting.

** Tags added: rls-ff-incoming rls-gg-incoming

** Changed in: geoclue-2.0 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to geoclue-2.0 in Ubuntu.

  Location services work with location services off, 20.04

Status in geoclue-2.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Not sure if this is the right package, but in the privacy -> location
  settings, in 18.04 I had to have my application be approved by user to
  access location with Geoclue. Now it seems this is working without the
  location services "enabled"??

  My application is repeater-START: https://sourceforge.net/projects
  /repeater-start/

  Steps to see issue:
  1) install Repeater-START and click the locate me button circle to the left.
It goes to your rough location on map.

  2) Go to settings, privacy, location, note that location is turned
  off!?

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.36.1-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Date: Sat Aug  8 19:38:12 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-settings-daemon
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-06-22 (47 days ago)