I upgraded my 20.04 with the proposed-updates, restarted, and I got an
alert that I needed to accept location permissions upon hitting the
lower left locate button on my app, initially. I open the privacy
settings in location and my app is not listed??

However, location now works, at least every other time. I wonder if anyone else
can run a similar test?
I see no applications have asked for location access, in privacy settings.

Packages, which is subscribed to geoclue-2.0 in Ubuntu.

  Location services work with location services off, 20.04

Status in geoclue-2.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in geoclue-2.0 source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in geoclue-2.0 source package in Groovy:

  * Impact

  Disabling the location service in settings isn't reflection on
  traditional deb applications

  * Test case

  - Log in an Ubuntu desktop session
  - install geoclue-2-demo
  - go to gnome-control-center, privacy, location and ensure the service is
disabled
  - $ /usr/libexec/geoclue-2.0/demos/where-am-i

  the script should return a permission error and not a location

  * Regression potential

  [racb] Users who are currently relying on a working location service
  despite having a setting disabling it will find that the location
  service will stop working because the setting will start to be
  honoured.

  The change is in the client library, try a few applications, deb and
  snap or flatpak and make sure the status is correct respected

  -----------------------------

  Not sure if this is the right package, but in the privacy -> location
  settings, in 18.04 I had to have my application be approved by user to
  access location with Geoclue. Now it seems this is working without the
  location services "enabled"??

  My application is repeater-START: https://sourceforge.net/projects
  /repeater-start/

  Steps to see issue:
  1) install Repeater-START and click the locate me button circle to the left.
It goes to your rough location on map.

  2) Go to settings, privacy, location, note that location is turned
  off!?

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.36.1-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Date: Sat Aug  8 19:38:12 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-settings-daemon
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-06-22 (47 days ago)