@dbungert: While the patch that simply copies the list is a possible way
of doing things, a very experienced user on the Arch Linux forums had
concerns about doing things that way, see
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2090570#p2090570 "But
creating a copy of the list is inefficient and only glosses over the
actual problem (and probably will cause X11 errors and/or behavioral
differences - maybe maintain them b/c of the status quo ante)"

In the two-item case, as long as the rest of Openbox code keeps the list
consistent after removing *and adding* an item (because keep in mind the
code doesn't just remove stuff, it also adds stuff), everything should
be fine. itPrev->next should point to a valid item unless the underlying
list has become corrupted.

In the one item case, the first iteration through the loop works, and
with only one item, there will only be one iteration through the loop,
so presumably the crash won't happen unless the one item case triggers a
crash in some other way.

I'll test both and report back what happens.

Packages, which is subscribed to glib2.0 in Ubuntu.

  openbox crashed with SIGABRT

Status in glib2.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in openbox package in Ubuntu:

  Lubuntu lunar (primary box) on
  - dell [optiplex] 7050 (i5-6500, 16gb, intel hd530/i915)

  I experienced a crash yesterday (openbox) but tend to ignore the first
  crashes... Whilst using the machine again today a crash occurred.

  This is my primary box, so my setup is pretty consistent

  - featherpad (restored session)
  - hexchat (irc)
  - qterminal (only single tab today; usually many)
  - firefox (snap, most sites excluding google related)
  - chromium (snap, used for anything google related)
  - telegram (snap)
  - element

  I was using chromium full screen (trying to read my gmail inbox) when
  borders around windows disappeared & I lost the capacity to switch
  between windows; mouse would move, but keyboard appeared mostly dead
  (it wasn't, more I think windows weren't responding, inc. clicks with
  mouse though that's likely inconsistent; I could work out how to
  describe it yesterday, but todays is almost identical).

  I switched to text terminal (ctrl+alt+f4) & explored; returned to GUI and used
  - ctrl+alt+t to open new terminal
  - openbox &

  session returned to what I expect...

  ** expected outcome

  Openbox doesn't crash

  ** actual outcome

  all windows lost borders, and i lost ability to switch between windows
  I appeared to have minimal control (not true, more a fraction of what I
expect)

  ** How to get crash

  For me,

  - I used chromium (browser)
  - make chromium full screen (ie. F11)
  - click on something & right-click to open in new window
  OPENBOX CRASH.

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 23.04
  Package: openbox 3.6.1-10
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CrashCounter: 1
  CurrentDesktop: LXQt
  Date: Thu Mar 16 09:46:22 2023
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/openbox
  ExecutableTimestamp: 1643543619
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 23.04 "Lunar Lobster" - Alpha amd64 (20230124)
  JournalErrors: -- No entries --
  ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/openbox
  ProcCwd: /home/guiverc
  RebootRequiredPkgs: Error: path contained symlinks.
  Signal: 6
  SourcePackage: openbox
  StacktraceTop:
   () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libobt.so.2
   <signal handler called> () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
   client_calc_layer ()
   ()
   () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libobt.so.2
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  separator: