Sebastien
I shut down every night
I will leave nautilus open and capture syslog.  I looked back at
syslog.7 to see if there was anything
Yes it is weird.
Nautilus graphic stays on the screen but does not respond to clicks. I
use ps and kill to clear the screen.

ps uafx | grep nautilus
mike      1688  0.7  4.7 184572 24264 ?        Sl   10:23   0:11      \_
nautilus -n
mike      2167  0.0  0.1   5340   740 pts/0    S+   10:49   0:00      \_
grep --color=auto nautilus

Gedit works fine so long as I don't launch it from nautilus.  It locked
up the same way when launched from nautilus.  I now use gedit directly
so I don't loose anything .

I should be able to get nautilus to fail and capture syslog and the ps
output in a few hours.

Mike

On 12-03-13 03:28 AM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> do you get any error in /var/log/syslog when the issue happens? could
> you copy the log to the bug? that bug is a bit weird, when you get the
> issue is nautilus still displaying icons on your background? what
> happens graphically?
>
> could you run "ps uafx | grep nautilus" and copy the output to the bug?
> you mentioned gedit, does it lock the same way? I wonder if that's an
> xserver issue and something leaking connection and making the server
> hits his clients limitation

  After a short period of use nautilus no longer reponds and becomes a
  zombie

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Nautilus may last for hours or just minutes then fails to respond.
  Menu items don't respond. It can't be shut down.  ps -A does not show
  a process for nautilus.  It can't be restarted. Shutdown of linux
  usually hangs at the request to terminate all processes.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.2.1-0ubuntu4.1
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386