On Thursday 15 December 2005 00:27, Ryan Richards wrote:
> Having recently read about Mr. Torvalds's comments on the KDE vs. Gnome
> matter, I found the thread and drilled down into it a bit. It seems to me
> that the features that Torvalds and others are complaining about are
> trivial at best, while the complaints themselves are bloated. I intend to
> continue using Gnome, and I'd like to tell you why: it uses 50MB less
> memory than KDE. Now, I'd only classify myself as an intermediate Linux
> user (not an expert, but not a beginner), but I can tell when Mepis and
> Fedora with KDE use 140MB to show me a desktop, while Ubuntu and Fedora
> with Gnome use 90MB to show me my desktop. Yeah, I could use Ice WM or no
> GUI and save EVEN MORE memory, but Gnome gives me features that are worth
> the extra RAM. The features talked about in the thread are not worth--at
> least to me--50MB.
>
> So keep up the good work, and don't let your memory requirements get all
> loosey-goosey like KDE :-) And take heart: from my point of view, the
> fastest growing and most talked about distribution today, Ubuntu, is doing
> a good job of keeping Gnome in the spotlight despite the fact that certain
> people want to throw their weight around to influence people about whose
> product to use.

your response may have been appropriate to the gnome-usability list, but i
think its slightly off-topic here.

so lets refrain from project bashing, no matter if its instigated.  it doesnt
add anything to this list and it doesnt get anything done.  lets show a
little professionalism.
--
Celeste Lyn Paul
www.obso1337.org