On Wednesday 21 December 2005 16:52, Dave Rosenberg wrote:
> In order for Linux desktops to be adopted in enterprises we need one
> set of software that provides all of the above in a bundled fashion.
> Kind of a bastard-child of OO.org/Mozilla etc containing office/
> browser/email in one fell swoop.

i think this survey was a bit like asking the patient to diagnose themselves.
but that notwithstanding ...

... we already have software that provides all of the above in a bundled
fashion. it's not compelling. why?

they need to be developed further (read: we need more developers)
they need to work with other desktop technologies better
        hardware (hand helds, for example)
        non-office-suite desktop software

KDE (and others, but i won't speak for them as that's a bit rude =) are
working rather successfully on the "set of software that provides all the
above in a bundled fashion". what we NEED are the things we identified in
Portland to be addressed (including the items we didn't have break out
sessions for, but which ended up on index cards) so we can do our job even
better.

the lack of an email app that does what people need (if that is indeed a
problem) is the cough; the issues identified at Portland are the disease.

do we really want to address symptoms?

--
Aaron J. Seigo