> How do I decide which desktop environment and widget set to use for
the
> Linux port of my company's application?
A follow on to that question is:
  What limitations do I impose on my customers by choosing that desktop
  environment and widget set?

I also think that this sort of full frontal assault on the desktop is
going
to be a very difficult sell.  Linux desktop should work most to enhance
the marketshare in areas that are an advantage.  Those areas seem to be:

1) Technical workstations/renderfarms - (i.e. designers, engineers,
artists)
2) Mass deployment    (i.e. stores, schools, etc)
3) Extreme low cost         (i.e. Linspire, developing countries, etc)

So then the most important question would become "What ISVs that
currently
aren't on Linux would be most attracted to those marketplaces?".

For example, it will be a lot easier to convince Autocad to do a Linux
port if they thought they could get incremental revenue by competing on
the platform with Linux/Unix based CAD tools.

It would be a lot easier to convince Adobe to do a Linux port if they
thought the could get incremental revenue from animation artists doing
work on Linux render farms.

Thinking that they should do a port for the good of the Linux community,
or out of the goodness of their hearts won't go anywhere.

Phil