Any chance we can back up directly to an sd card and then periodically
update that? Maybe this is less of an end-user concern and more of a
developer/dogfooder concern but its really nice how my music/images/etc...
"just" work when reflashing the phone it would be nice to have some sort of
FTU detection of "Hey you have a backup of a phone on here, want to use
that?".

Updating from the host machine is obviously also amazing assuming we make
sure its hard to forget to pull off the backup when needed but I think the
SD card approach would be easier from my dogfooder's perspective.