On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mou...@lamouri.fr> wrote:

> On 08/08/13 02:08, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mou...@lamouri.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I believe that having this handled by the system would lead to a better
> >> user experience because as a user I would be able to say that any
> >> notification should just vibrate and do a low volume sound for example.
> >> We could even imagine behaviour depending on applications or group of
> >> applications. For example, if I had to work in IT, I could configure
> >> some monitoring apps to do loud notifications while social apps would
> >> stay mute.
> >>

> > In my experience, the current situation on Android with regard to direct
> > LED control by apps is a disaster.  I have the Facebook Messenger app
> which
> > sometimes likes to do a color dance on the LED when I get a new message,
> > another app which likes to create a blue blinking effect, and another app
> > which for some reason likes to turn off the LED at seemingly random
> points
> > in time.  The result is that as a user, the LED on my phone is entirely
> out
> > of my control, and is providing almost no advantage in terms of notifying
> > me about different events.
>
> This seems to be written as opposed to my proposal but I read arguments
> for my proposal so I am a bit confused about the meaning here.
>
> My proposal being that the system should own the LED and the user would
> be able to configure its behaviour. The mess you are describing sounds
> less probable given that the system - us - would take care of turning
> the LED on/off and change its colour.

Sorry if I was not clear, I meant to say that I don't think exposing this
API to all applications is a good idea because different apps may want to
do different things with the LED and things will soon get out of hand if
the user installs more than one such app.  I think handling the LED by the
system and allowing the user to configure that is a great idea.

Cheers,
--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>