I'm diving into Firefox OS as a long-time Mozillian but with very little knowledge of the OS project. One of my early steps in learning is getting set up to build Firefox OS for my ZTE Open device.

I understand that we don't (and won't, thanks for the clarity, mwu) support building all of Firefox OS on Windows because Gonk only builds where Android builds which I understand to be only Mac and Linux.

So, as a Windows user, I have a choice to VM a Linux distro or move to a Mac. I intend to explore both of those options and document the process, starting with Linux in a VM on Windows 8.

For those of you who have been building Gonk regularly on Linux, what is your preferred Linux distro and version and what is your view on the stability of the build system on that OS and version. Also, if you use Linux through a VM, which VM makes your life the easiest? Do any of them have problems with connecting to devices over USB for example?

The MDN doc[1] says we recommend Ubuntu 12.04 but it's not clear to me if that is really the best play for a new contributor or if that was just the popular Ubuntu release at the time the doc was created.

- A

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/Firefox_OS_build_prerequisites#Requirements_for_Linux