The biggest problem with doing phone things on a VM I had were due to
the fact that a phone may change it USB ID when switching between
bootloader and user mode. This happens often times during updates,
flashing process as well as when using the proprietary flashing tools.

I had to restart these processes multiple times in a row to make sure
that all occuring USB IDs are assigned to the VM. Otherwise most
processes will time out as they think the phone got lost. This was
exceltionally cumbersome as the proprietary vendor tool has long pauses
of downloads between these steps in which I had to remain focused on the
progress bar to not miss anything. Even though I did fail paying
attention multple times, the phone did not brick but remained in a
recoverable state.