From: "Asa Dotzler" <a...@mozilla.com>
To: mozilla-dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:37:23 PM
Subject: [b2g] Please update your Flame to the new base image

The Flame reference phone, which many of you all are using for
development, testing, and dogfooding, is transitioning from a Gonk that
is based on Android 4.2 JellyBean to one based on 4.4 KitKat.

Many of you will likely have flashed the v123 base image (Firefox OS
1.3) and then done a "shallow" flash of contemporary Gecko and Gaia on
top of that. Having done that, you are probably receiving nightly
updates of the Gecko and Gia layers from Mozilla.

Those updates are going to stop real soon now because we're moving our
development and testing focus to the KitKat-based Gonk and trying to
avoid a long and painful overlap period.

Unfortunately, we don't have a simple mechanism for updating you to the
new builds so you are going to have to repeat those steps of flashing a
new base image and then shallow flashing Gecko and Gia to continue to
receive nightly updates.

The new base image is v180 and the new Gecko and Gaia bits live in
directories on FTP appended with -KK.

Tony has updated the QA docs and I've updated the Flame page at MDN* to
point to the new v180 base image and the new Mozilla FTP directories.

We're in a period of transition that becomes more expensive the longer
we're in it, so please take a moment today or tomorrow to move to the
new image and updates. The last thing we all need is for QA and
Engineering to spend more time chasing down phantom bugs that cannot be
reproduced on the latest bits.

I recognize that this is not an ideal workflow and we are investigating
ways to mitigate these kinds of stop and reset requirements. It's a
challenge dealing with a system that includes bits Mozilla cannot host
and distribute so we appreciate your patience as we go through the first
of these transitions, learn from it, and make improvements for next time.

- A

*
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/Flame#Updating_your_Flame%27s_software